Tuesday, December 3, 2013

the dreadful adult acne.

Why is it, as a 26 year old, I'm breaking out more now than I did when I was a teenager? 
My skin used to be so clear. I would get a blemish every once in awhile, but nothing like I do now.
I went off of my birth control about 2 years ago because I was getting terrible headaches and having crazy mood swings. That's when my breakouts started.
I started getting little bumps along my cheeks, chin, and jawline. 
Then they grew into these huge, cystic bumps. Nothing would conceal them. It was so embarrassing.
Especially when the children in your classroom point out that "Ms. Ashley has boo-boos on her face". 
Leave it to kids to be brutally honest. :) 
The only time I had any kind of relief was when I laid in the tanning bed (I know, shame. I'm done with it now... haven't been in 4 months). 
These bumps eventually left scars, and that's what I'm left with today.
I went back on birth control, and that's helped a little bit, but my skin looks nothing like it used to.

I've tried Proactiv. I've tried Clinique. I've tried Murad. I've tried Kate Sommerville. Numerous others. I have spent hundreds of dollars on products that haven't helped the slightest. 

I'm convinced that I'm doomed.

I eventually caved and made a dermatologist appointment for this week. I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say and if they can give me anything to get rid of this annoying problem.

However, something has been floating around Instagram that caught my attention.

African Black Soap.



Several people have been posting about it (forgive me, I can't remember who). I started googling the benefits of black soap and decided it wouldn't hurt to try. So I went to Target and picked some up. For $5 a bar. (I know. I knooooow)

Anyway, I have been using it for about 3 days and so far I really like it. It doesn't dry my face out and it makes it feel super clean. I've even noticed some of the bumps on my chin going down. Maybe I've found a remedy. I figured I should at least try a natural remedy rather than putting chemicals all over my face. 

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on the black soap + what my dermatologist says.

Have you experienced the dreadful adult acne? What products have worked for you? 







1 comment :

  1. I swear by Lush products! They're definitely more expensive than anything you can find at Target, etc but they last a long time and are soo great for you skin!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS